As promised, a quick post-mortem on Repulsive Creatures
. This was a solo project, using Unity. I've made a few Unity games, but I think this is my best yet, and I learnt a lot.
Things that went well:
Things that could be improved:
- Good progress each day. Had a working build at end of each day.
- Focussed on 1 core mechanic, kept the concept simple. No feature creep!
- Got support from the 7dfps community, and tried to give some back too.
- Found solutions to Unity issues pretty quickly.
- Didn't spend too much time on art/sound, modified free resources where possible.
- Random seed to generate levels (after giving up idea of designing them all by hand).
- The 'sightline' from the gun was a late addition -- it was almost unplayable before that, like playing pool with an invisible cue :)
- Obviously, more level layout variety would be good. Force the player to change tactics etc.
- Make a better enemy model, with animations.
- Used the standard FPS controller without really understanding it - its not perfect.
- Better lighting effects would improve depth perception for the player.
- I notice others posted wip builds for people to play, could do this to get feedback.
- I cut a few corners, e.g. menus/options (mouse sensitivity, FOV).
- Some mesh clipping issues I couldn't fix.
- Some better explosion effects, perhaps dynamic splats around the room.
- I'd like Unity to crash less...